The Sanguinarian

The Sanguinarian

Thursday 10 April 2014

Excerpt- The Mumbai Marauder

25th January, The Feminista Office
11.30 a.m.
Mia was in one of the stalls in the ladies’ washroom, taking a piss, when she heard loud footsteps come inside. Seconds later she saw four pairs of feet, two of them in blue high heels and the other in pink flat heels.
“Can you believe it, Pia? Mr. Nagaraj  complimented me on my dress ya!” one of the women spoke.
“Really? OMG, Priya! When did this happen? What did he say exactly? Tell me, tell me na!” the one called Pia asked excitedly, her voice high-pitched.
Mia’s ears pricked up at the mention of Dev’s name and she listened to the conversation outside with rapt attention. Pia was the illustrator for The Feminista, while Priya was technical editor.
“This morning, when he came to the office to meet Mia Ma’m. He said that the color of my dress brings out my skin tone very well! Nice, no!” Priya replied, sounding like a teenage girl whose crush had just spoken to her for the first time.
“Yeah! Yeah! Very nice. Do you think he likes you?” Pia asked, in a conspiratorial tone. Mia could hear the laughter in her voice; she could also hear her own heart thumping against her rib cage.
“I don’t know ya. But, you know what…I think I…well…” Priya said, and started giggling like a schoolgirl.
“What? Tell me na!” Pia said, also giggling.
“I think he was staring at my boobs while he was talking to me ya. He probably thought I didn’t notice…but I did,” Priya replied, giggling.

“Haaaawwwww! Really? Nice that you’re wearing this low-neck thingy. But isn’t Mr. Nagaraj going out with Leena Bansal? Aren’t they living together now?” Pia asked her friend, her tone caught between conspiratorial and curious.
Mia didn’t even breathe for fear of missing a word in the conversation.
“Ha! Like that matters at all! I honestly don’t understand what he sees in that ugly bitch! I mean, she has those extra large boobs…and that ugly brown hair! And have you see those cigarette stained teeth? She looks like a beggar, for all I know!” Priya said, in a mocking tone.
“You’re right, honey! His relationship with Leena’s not gonna stop him from savoring other delights. Especially not with all that cellulite on her thighs. I mean, he wasn’t exactly celibate when he was with Mia Ma’m…” Pia replied, laughing.
“Ya, I know. He played around like the playboy he is. I don’t think our Mia Ma’m has any idea what her beloved ex-boyfriend was up to while she was gone on her numerous foreign trips!” Priya replied, mockingly.
Mia felt a possible cardiac arrhythmia coming on.
“Oh ya! While she was busy providing social service to the world’s women, Mr. Nagaraj was banging people here- day in and day out. Not anyone from our office though. Only those girls from other magazines and news channels. How I would’ve loved to have a piece of that perfect ass!” Pia sighed.
“Really? Dear lord! How I would’ve loved having a piece of him too! But I guess he was too afraid of his girlfriend. How she would’ve emasculated him had he screwed anyone from her own employees! Maybe that’s why he chose a PR girl like Leena,” Priya said, in the same mocking tone.
“Yeah! I wonder if that’s the reason he dumped her. The stuck-up bitch Mia Ma’m is, he would’ve felt so suffocated ya! She is too much of a  fire-brand feminist to keep a gorgeous boyfriend like Dev Nagaraj. I do think he has more degree of freedom with Leena,” Pia replied.
“You’re right, sweety. How can anyone tolerate that jumped-up self-righteous feminist ideologue? Besides, she’s so ugly. What with all that fat, and that chocolate brown skin! How could a hunk like Dev Nagaraj bear to sleep with such a hag beside him?” Priya replied. Both women burst out laughing. Mia sat on the toilet, stunned out of her wits.
“You know what, Pia? You’re right about Dev’s degree of freedom, now that he’s free from Mia’s clutches. Now no one can stop him from mingling with people in this office. I say we try our luck?” Priya spoke again, her voice full of anticipation and excitement.
“Really? What do you mean ya?” Pia asked, mirroring her friend’s tone.
“We try impressing him at that party tomorrow night! You wear that purple chiffon dress, while I’ll be in that black strapless dress you got for me! Party’s the perfect place to get him to jump us!” Priya said, her excitement levels increasing.
“You clever girl! That black dress accentuates your breasts perfectly!” Pai replied, amused, and both women laughed loudly.
“I know. Let’s go the parlor today evening! Do you have that Loreal lady’s number? I lost it when my phone got lost last week!” Priya said, her voice a screech.
“Preparing for the battleground, eh? I’ll book an appointment for this evening right now! Come on!” Pia replied, giggling. Both women exited the bathroom, with Priya joining her friend in the ridiculous fit of giggles.
Mia rested her elbows on her knees, put her face in her hands, and wept silently.



No comments:

Post a Comment